Electrical Product Development Engineer
Location: Saginaw, MI
Pay: $90,000.00 - $105,000.00 /Year
Name: Robert Wojcik
ELECTRICAL PRODUCT DEVELOPMENT ENGINEER – Saginaw, MI
Our client in Saginaw, MI, a highly reputable automotive parts manufacturer, is currently seeking an Electrical Product Development Engineer to join their staff. In this role, this individual will be responsible to design, develop, and improve new and existing products in conformance to customer specifications. They will direct fabrication, conduct build, and direct testing of prototypes. They will also analyze design concepts for fit, function, manufacturability, and ease of assembly. This individual will also coordinate engineering activities between the Customer, Product Engineering, Manufacturing, Purchasing, Sales/Marketing, and the supply base.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Prepares and maintains timing charts for various program phases.
- Develop relationships with customer’s advanced design and development product engineers.
- Design oneself and/or direct CAD operators in the design of new products. Submit design work requests as required to obtain support.
- Verify that designs meet all customer prototype specifications and requirements through analysis. Including:
- Writing and reviewing work order with CAE department
- Hand calculations as verification of CAE work
- Interpreting and applying best results to demonstrate acceptable performance or modify for improved performance.
- Direct testing to ensure customer prototype parts meet or exceed specification. Including:
- Write test plans
- Develop necessary tests
- Instruct test lab how to complete necessary tests
- Document test results internally and externally, complete conclusions, and make recommendations based on test results.
- Coordinates the fabrication of prototypes. Assemble prototypes and document builds in conformance with customer/internal requirements.
- Prepare engineering cost studies by working with purchasing and manufacturing to obtain cost estimates.
- Establish test requirements and procedures, prepare product test plans, direct product testing, review test results, prepare reports, and communicate results to internal and external customers.
- Participate in corporate innovation initiatives.
- Liaison with internal and external manufacturing, operations and assembly personnel to ensure that prototype designs can be manufactured at reasonable cost.
- Initiates design FMEAs or customer equivalent for new products when required.
- Prepares/supports root cause analysis and prepares documentation as required by customer as part of failure analysis.
- Helps prepare marketing and competitor analysis studies to aid in strategic planning and capital programs.
- When necessary, liaison with manufacturing facilities in areas of product design, manufacturing, assembly, and process improvement.
- Prepares Product Submission Warrants for prototype sample submissions, per customer requirements.
- Work with Quality department to create prototype build control plans and process flow sheets.
- Initiates design and development for new and improved products. Participates actively in design review meetings and helps stimulate positive engineering discussion.
- Prepares and participates in formal training and technical presentations for customers as well as internal personnel.
- Acts as a Team Leader for development programs and as a mentor for co-op/summer engineering students and in-house Product Application Engineers. Help guide and monitor others that are on the team to ensure goals and timing are met. Provide input for performance appraisals of others.
REQUIRED EDUCATION, SKILLS & EXPERIENCE:
- Bachelor’s degree in Mechanical or Electrical Engineering. A Master’s degree in Mechanical or Electrical Engineering is desired.
- A minimum of 5 years’ experience in electrical component engineering capacity.
- A minimum of 3 years’ exp. in automotive / light truck product environment.
- Experience in automotive powertrain / drive-line components, transmission power flows, and transmission component function is required.
- Exp. in the successful launch of a product with an Automotive OEM is strongly preferred.
- Able to fully characterize electromechanical actuation systems:
- DC motors
- Sensors (Hall, Inductive)
- Knowledge of PCB assembly & testing
- Knowledge of CAN or LIN communication preferred but not required
- Exp. w/ Matlab / Simulink or equivalent
- Detailed knowledge of:
- Over molding
- Coil winding
- Mechanical properties of magnets
- Thermal effects on actuators and PCB’s
- Electromagnetic compatibility
Our client offers tremendous opportunity, competitive pay & outstanding benefits (including 401K, ESOP participation, and more). Our client will also provide relocation assistance for out-of-area candidates. Qualified & interested persons are encouraged to apply today!
Kelly puts you in charge of your career, with access to cutting edge projects and technologies in industry leading organizations. Top companies throughout the world have trusted Kelly as a premier source of engineering talent and services since 1965. And engineering job seekers know Kelly as a firm with an unmatched reputation for quality, integrity and professionalism. Whether you seek the variety and flexibility of working on short term project engagements, or prefer contract-to-hire or direct hire placement with our clients, apply with Kelly to explore opportunities that suit your specific professional interests.
As a workforce advocate for over 70 years, we are proud to directly employ nearly 500,000 people around the world and have a role in connecting thousands more with work through our global network of talent suppliers and partners. Revenue in 2016 was $5.3 billion. Visit kellyservices.com and connect with us on Facebook, LinkedIn and Twitter.
Kelly Services is an equal opportunity employer including, but not limited to, Minorities, Females, Individuals with Disabilities, Protected Veterans, Sexual Orientation, Gender Identity and is committed to employing a diverse workforce. Equal Employment Opportunity is The Law.